Monday, February 9, 2015

This is Not a List: 50 Things I Learned In College

I did it. It really happened. It even counts in real life, I think. As far as I know, I was not the victim of a cruel and bizarre performance art piece. The official frame-able documentation is on its way.

I graduated from college. And not only that! I did fairly well on the GRE and am awaiting decisions from some graduate programs while I finish the applications for others. I have a good job as a secretary through the end of tax season. I even go to the singles ward whose boundaries I live in now. I'm a real adult now, I guess.

And it's not everything I dreamed it would be. I cried a few times during the ceremonial parts. I've cried a lot since. The number of possibilities and choices and challenges I have ahead of me can be overwhelming. College wasn't everything I dreamed it would be, either. I never expected the uphill battle of chronic illness, especially at my age.

I've been working on a list-post called "50 Things I Learned in College" since late 2013, when I thought graduation was only a few weeks away. The list still isn't quite finished. I haven't written much of anything for a while. And I don't really just want to post a big list with little to no explanation to how I learned them or why they're important to me. Some of them are specific to discovering myself and my own path, and others are more general truths and truisms. What I've decided to do is make at least one post a week talking about things from the list. There are several that connect to each other and share one post. There are at least two that could get multiple posts all on their own. I'll worry about the smaller specifics as I go. That will keep me posting at least a little bit, and help me to write more current dribs and drabbles.

2 comments:

  1. Do a series! It can break up the list of longer stories and give you more time to work on individual posts.

    ReplyDelete